<body> Between The Lines
Home

Loading
...Me! Me!! ME!!!

I'm Prodhi...you can call me Prod.
I'm a YA reader/reviewer/ other than that, I'm a nutcase gone awry. Yes, I'm insane so to speak:) I'd say I'm a girl next door, but I'm much better off without a Pinocchio nose, thank you very much. I'm a pretty fun chica, I guess. I also realize that this About Me section doesn't do the three dimensions of my character justice. Or four. Or five. Or six. Oh shooh!

...Contact moi, Lovelies.

Bloggers and readers, if you have anything to say to me, here: prodhi@live.com. YA authors who would like me to review their books, I'll be more than honoured. Contact me at the same address.

...Book I'm reading now

Not Like You by Deborah Davis


...Blogposts Past


  • Jun 30, 2009
  • Jul 12, 2009
  • Jul 14, 2009
  • Jul 16, 2009
  • Jul 20, 2009
  • Jul 22, 2009
  • Jul 23, 2009
  • Jul 27, 2009
  • Jul 28, 2009
  • Aug 1, 2009
  • Aug 5, 2009
  • Aug 7, 2009
  • Aug 8, 2009
  • Aug 13, 2009
  • Aug 17, 2009
  • Aug 18, 2009
  • Aug 19, 2009
  • Aug 23, 2009
  • Aug 24, 2009
  • Aug 25, 2009
  • Aug 26, 2009
  • Aug 29, 2009
  • Aug 30, 2009
  • Aug 31, 2009
  • Sep 1, 2009
  • Sep 2, 2009
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • Sep 4, 2009
  • Sep 6, 2009
  • Sep 7, 2009
  • Sep 8, 2009
  • Sep 9, 2009
  • Sep 10, 2009
  • Sep 11, 2009
  • Sep 14, 2009
  • Sep 15, 2009
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • Sep 26, 2009
  • Dec 10, 2009
  • Dec 19, 2009
  • Dec 20, 2009
  • Dec 21, 2009
  • Jan 15, 2010
  • Feb 4, 2010
  • Apr 16, 2010
  • May 8, 2010
  • May 12, 2010

  • ...Blogroll



     

    ...Followers

    Get your own free Blogoversary button!
    ...WordBox
    Sunday, December 20, 2009
    WorDissection: In Ecstasy by Kate McCaffrey


    Did I like it? Yeah.
    You'll love it if you liked: Ellen Hopkins novels.
    Aura: Haunting, Chilling, Gripping.
    Read If: You're looking for a quick but intense read.
    Narration: First person alternating
    Main Characters: Sophie and Mia, teen females
    Themes: Drug Addiction, Friendship, Peer Pressure, Adolescence
    Plot: 8/10
    Narration: 9/10
    Characterization: 8.5/10. Very charming.
    Overall: 8.75/10
    Did I get bored anywhere? Nah.
    Did any part confuse me? Not at all. Simple.
    Line/ Page Skippability: 1/5. Not much.
    Writing Style: Short sentences, Informal, Becomes choppier as the addiction develops
    Uniqueness: 8/10
    Predictability: 3/10.
    Cover: 8.75/10. I like how it’s simple but beautiful.
    Ending: Realistic, hopeful, good closure.
    Reading priority: Should read.
    Reading duration: Fast readers-Approx. 4 hours, Slow readers- Approx. a week.
    Synopsis:
    “I pictured the roughly made tablets with their tiny butterflies. An amazing experience inside a tiny pill. That morning I figured life couldn’t get any better. How could something that made you feel like that be bad for you?”
    Mia and Sophie have been best friends forever- but that’s all about to change. Experimenting with alcohol, flirting with boys and dabbling in drugs, things quickly spiral out of control. And they finally realise how bad things really can get.

    WordVore Prod’s Review:
    Ahoy fellow readers, today I bring to thee…
    Australian YA fiction.
    It’s good. It’s fun. It’s underappreciated.
    I was quite excited to start In Ecstasy, since that was my first dip into Australian YA lit. And I wasn’t disappointed. To my delight it read differently than American YA, and to my delight the change was also a pleasant one.
    In Ecstasy tells the story of two teenagers named Mia and Sophie and their downward spiraling into the sinister world of drug addiction. This is such a topic where you can weave a thousand different sorts of stories on the same subject, and it won’t sound repetitive. The best part of the book was that the character and plot development was very rational--from the initial temptation to the final shots at recovery-- and I didn’t have trouble believing in the two characters or their actions and reactions. The unexpected turn of events leaves readers with a satisfying sense of unpredictability. Mia’s narrative is so effective that it made my feet run cold in seconds. The horror and helplessness that she feels is almost tactile. Sophie was no stupid supportive character either—she was the friend that tries her best to drag Mia out of the dark and wails in frustration at each failure. One thing this book can do is definitely let you into the dark abyss of an addict’s mind, and let me tell you—it’s captivating.
    A tad bit of issue with the book was that at times it comes off sounding a little preachy…more so like a drug addict manual. But the upside is also that the issue is not severe, thankfully. However, this also acts as an advantage since I feel that this is a novel parents can read to gain better insight into drug addiction and teens and how these two get tangled up in a mess together.
    I liked all the other supporting characters in the book, and wouldn’t mind more insight into their personalities. Themes like clique discrepancy and peer pressure are also covered in the book. The book was a short, quick read and a rewarding one at that. So curl up on your couch with this book and enjoy. After all, Australian YA ain’t bad at all!

    For this book, please do check out the official page: http://www.fremantlepress.com.au/books/youngadult/861
    It's cool:)

    Labels: , , , , ,



    WordVore Prod
    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment