<body> Between The Lines
Home

Loading
...Me! Me!! ME!!!

I'm Prodhi...you can call me Prod.
I'm a YA reader/reviewer/ other than that, I'm a nutcase gone awry. Yes, I'm insane so to speak:) I'd say I'm a girl next door, but I'm much better off without a Pinocchio nose, thank you very much. I'm a pretty fun chica, I guess. I also realize that this About Me section doesn't do the three dimensions of my character justice. Or four. Or five. Or six. Oh shooh!

...Contact moi, Lovelies.

Bloggers and readers, if you have anything to say to me, here: prodhi@live.com. YA authors who would like me to review their books, I'll be more than honoured. Contact me at the same address.

...Book I'm reading now

Not Like You by Deborah Davis


...Blogposts Past


  • Jun 30, 2009
  • Jul 12, 2009
  • Jul 14, 2009
  • Jul 16, 2009
  • Jul 20, 2009
  • Jul 22, 2009
  • Jul 23, 2009
  • Jul 27, 2009
  • Jul 28, 2009
  • Aug 1, 2009
  • Aug 5, 2009
  • Aug 7, 2009
  • Aug 8, 2009
  • Aug 13, 2009
  • Aug 17, 2009
  • Aug 18, 2009
  • Aug 19, 2009
  • Aug 23, 2009
  • Aug 24, 2009
  • Aug 25, 2009
  • Aug 26, 2009
  • Aug 29, 2009
  • Aug 30, 2009
  • Aug 31, 2009
  • Sep 1, 2009
  • Sep 2, 2009
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • Sep 4, 2009
  • Sep 6, 2009
  • Sep 7, 2009
  • Sep 8, 2009
  • Sep 9, 2009
  • Sep 10, 2009
  • Sep 11, 2009
  • Sep 14, 2009
  • Sep 15, 2009
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • Sep 26, 2009
  • Dec 10, 2009
  • Dec 19, 2009
  • Dec 20, 2009
  • Dec 21, 2009
  • Jan 15, 2010
  • Feb 4, 2010
  • Apr 16, 2010
  • May 8, 2010
  • May 12, 2010

  • ...Blogroll



     

    ...Followers

    Get your own free Blogoversary button!
    ...WordBox
    Thursday, December 10, 2009
    WorDissection: Immortal by Gillian Shields

    Did I like it? Yeah.
    You'll love it if you liked: Stories with a gothic feel and a traditional romance.
    Aura: Intense and gothic
    Read If: You're looking for an engrossing read that is at the same time not too complex.
    Narration: First Person
    Main Character: Evie Johnson
    Themes: Social outcast, Friendship, First love, Connection between past and present, Superhuman abilities
    Plot: 8/10
    Narration: 8.5/10
    Characterization: 8.5/10
    Overall: 8.5/10
    Did I get bored anywhere? Nope.
    Did any part confuse me? Nope. ‘Tis simple=)
    Line/ Page Skippability: 1/5. Not much.
    Writing Style: Average sentences, Informal, Self-discovering.
    Uniqueness: 7.5/10
    Predictability: 3/10
    Cover: 9.5/10. Delicious cover.
    Ending: Hopeful, satisfying, albeit clichéd.
    Reading priority: Should Read
    Reading duration: Fast readers-Approx. 5 hours, Slow readers- Approx 7 days.
    Synopsis:
    Wyldcliffe Abbey School for Young Ladies, housed in a Gothic mansion on the bleak northern moors, is elite, expensive, and unwelcoming. When Evie Johnson is torn away from her home by the sea to become the newest scholarship student, she is more isolated than she could have dreamed. Strict teachers, snobbish students, and the oppressive atmosphere of Wyldcliffe leave Evie drowning in loneliness.
    Evie's only lifeline is Sebastian, a rebellious, mocking, dangerously attractive young man she meets by chance. As Evie's feelings for Sebastian grow with each secret meeting, she starts to fear that he is hiding something about his past. And she is haunted by glimpses of a strange, ghostly girl—a girl who is so eerily like Evie, she could be a sister. Evie is slowly drawn into a tangled web of past and present that she cannot control. And as the extraordinary, elemental forces of Wyldcliffe rise up like the mighty sea, Evie is faced with an astounding truth about Sebastian, and her own incredible fate.
    Gillian Shields's electrifying tale will dazzle readers with suspense, mysticism, and romance.


    Okay, so there were so many bad reviews on Immortal that I was, in fact, a tad bit apprehensive about reading the book. But, here’s the deal: I liked it. Yup. That’s solely my opinion and I’m going to be completely unbiased and state it.
    Maybe we can go over the negatives first. The writing falls a slight bit lackluster at times, and more prosaic than each segment flowing smoothly into another. The plot line could have used a little more substance, maybe? However, I do think that even though originality was lacking, the build-up on the plotline was quite commendable.
    I liked Evie’s character, and definitely related to her on quite a common ground. She is someone consumed by loneliness, and I like how the pain caused by the isolation seeps through the paper rather than come off as a monologue of whining complaints. Although not a big fan of Sebastian, he was definitely not hateable. I liked how he is a little more human towards the end--being vulnerable to manipulation. The format was the best part of the book, and the interchanging between present day and Lady Agnes’ diary was a captivating arrangement. The gothic feel of the story is pulled off with much skillfulness, and the implementation of the setting is equally marvelous.
    All in all, Gillian Shields is definitely an author whose work I would like to read in the future. I would recommend that you judge the book yourself rather than completely go with reviews—you just never know.
    Oh, and, pretty cover!

    Labels: , , , , ,



    WordVore Prod
    0 comments

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment