<body> Between The Lines
Home

Loading
...Me! Me!! ME!!!

I'm Prodhi...you can call me Prod.
I'm a YA reader/reviewer/ other than that, I'm a nutcase gone awry. Yes, I'm insane so to speak:) I'd say I'm a girl next door, but I'm much better off without a Pinocchio nose, thank you very much. I'm a pretty fun chica, I guess. I also realize that this About Me section doesn't do the three dimensions of my character justice. Or four. Or five. Or six. Oh shooh!

...Contact moi, Lovelies.

Bloggers and readers, if you have anything to say to me, here: prodhi@live.com. YA authors who would like me to review their books, I'll be more than honoured. Contact me at the same address.

...Book I'm reading now

Not Like You by Deborah Davis


...Blogposts Past


  • Jun 30, 2009
  • Jul 12, 2009
  • Jul 14, 2009
  • Jul 16, 2009
  • Jul 20, 2009
  • Jul 22, 2009
  • Jul 23, 2009
  • Jul 27, 2009
  • Jul 28, 2009
  • Aug 1, 2009
  • Aug 5, 2009
  • Aug 7, 2009
  • Aug 8, 2009
  • Aug 13, 2009
  • Aug 17, 2009
  • Aug 18, 2009
  • Aug 19, 2009
  • Aug 23, 2009
  • Aug 24, 2009
  • Aug 25, 2009
  • Aug 26, 2009
  • Aug 29, 2009
  • Aug 30, 2009
  • Aug 31, 2009
  • Sep 1, 2009
  • Sep 2, 2009
  • Sep 3, 2009
  • Sep 4, 2009
  • Sep 6, 2009
  • Sep 7, 2009
  • Sep 8, 2009
  • Sep 9, 2009
  • Sep 10, 2009
  • Sep 11, 2009
  • Sep 14, 2009
  • Sep 15, 2009
  • Sep 16, 2009
  • Sep 26, 2009
  • Dec 10, 2009
  • Dec 19, 2009
  • Dec 20, 2009
  • Dec 21, 2009
  • Jan 15, 2010
  • Feb 4, 2010
  • Apr 16, 2010
  • May 8, 2010
  • May 12, 2010

  • ...Blogroll



     

    ...Followers

    Get your own free Blogoversary button!
    ...WordBox
    Thursday, August 13, 2009
    WorDissection: Peeled by Joan Bauer

    Did I like it? Yes.
    You'll love it if you liked: Stories about journalism and sticking through it despite the obstacles.
    Aura: Light
    Read If: You're looking for something to breeze through.
    Narration: First Person
    Main Character: Hildy Biddle, high schooler.
    Themes: Journalism, Overcoming Obstacles, Death, Propaganda
    Plot: 7.5/10
    Narration: 8.5/10
    Characterization: 7.5/10
    Overall: 8/10
    Did I get bored anywhere? Slightly when I felt the plot needed more grounding.
    Did any part confuse me? Nope.
    Line/ Page Skippability: 3/10.
    Writing Style: Average sentences, Informal, Smart.
    Uniqueness: 8/10
    Predictability: 1.5/10
    Ending: Inspiring
    Reading priority: Read
    Reading duration: Fast readers-Approx. 5 hours, Slow readers- Approx 7 days.
    Synopsis:
    The orchard-growing community of Banesville, New York, is known as The Happiest Town in the Happy Apple Valley. But the sleepy town is stricken with hysteria and fear after a series of spooky happenings, and then a death occurs near the abandoned Ludlow House. As Pen Piedmont, the editor of the local paper, publishes fear-mongering headlines, high-school reporter Hildy determines to find the true story behind the incidents and settle her community’s growing unrest. Although there are several puzzling incidents at the story’s center (Is there a plot against Banesville’s citizens? If so, who’s involved?), readers will be most drawn by Hildy’s growing excitement, relayed in her own strong, witty voice, as she learns from a cantankerous, demanding mentor what it takes to be a journalist. Hildy’s romance with a fellow student feels underdeveloped, and the object of her affection is a bit too good to be true. But Bauer’s gleeful wordplay, her sure sense of setting, the details of newspaper life, and the many colorful side characters make this a pleasurable read that may encourage teens to consider deeper questions about family farms, urban sprawl, and the many who profit from public fear.
    WordVore Prod's Review:
    I enjoyed reading Peeled. Hildy was an inspirational character—someone you can look up to without much hesitation. She’s strong, focused and headstrong, yet she shows enough vulnerability to make her seem real. She pursues her passion with such integrity that it makes the reader want to push his or her own boundaries when it comes to putting in effort. Hildy doesn’t conform; she strays and creates. Her fearlessness is exemplary, the way she deals with issues like death and betrayal even more so. Baker Polton is one of those try-harder advisors who aren’t easy to please but once pleased, can give others the sense of accomplishment. Characters were realistic and grounded, and there were no extravagant fly-abouts in characterization or premise. The book holds entertainment value and it was a smooth read. The writing style is absolutely commendable and is able to impress readers. I loved how the fear-and-propaganda mechanism of past and present were presented in a lighter view.
    What I did have a problem was with the slight hollowness of the plot. A little more substance and meaning would have been better, because at times it felt that maybe the story would end up nowhere. Deeper portrayal of relationships would be great to read, but maybe it would’ve killed the phrase “light read” that is attached to Peeled.
    Overall, it was a fun read that I breezed through. It’s a must read if you want to pursue a career of journalism.

    Labels: , , , , ,



    WordVore Prod
    3 comments

    3 Comments:

    I might just read this. The cover is completely adorable and you said it's a pretty easy breezy read..

    By Blogger Ashley, at August 22, 2009 at 12:03 AM  

    "Reading duration: Fast readers-Approx. 5 hours, Slow readers- Approx 7 days."
    I'm sorry, this is such a pointless comment, but I just wanted to tell you I actually laughed out loud. Great blog, it's so unique!
    Oh, and I love the format of your reviews :)

    By Anonymous audrey, at August 23, 2009 at 4:07 AM  

    Thank you so much, Audrey!:D
    Now that I think about it, it DOES sound kinda funny...

    By Blogger WordVore Prod, at August 23, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

    Post a Comment